Sunday 18 May 2014

Has it only been Three years?

I was a bit surprised the other day when I was looking back at my old blog entries and noticed that it has only been 3 years since this rollercoaster got started.

In the time since I started the blog there have been many ups and downs and it seems like a lifetime has passed.  We are very happy with where we are and how we came to be here; we have a lot of very good friends and family to thank for helping us find our way here!  Had you asked me at the start of this where I thought we/I would be today I would not have in my wildest dreams said that I would be doing so well or that I would be running long distance again let alone running personal bests doing it.  I also would not have said that I feel as good as I do these days or that chemo would have gone so well with so few side effects for me.  It is a wonder to me!

In the three years lots has happened, I have had two surgeries (both minor), walked around with pneumonia, had a bronchial wash to figure out it was pneumonia, gone through 2/3rds of my chemo protocol, lost my hair, grew my hair and cut my hair... Missed a few days of work, worked from home, helped a co-worker deal with breast cancer and found out my dad has brain cancer; realised I am pretty lucky!  I have also completed my third and best time Ironman distance tri, completed and done a PB half and full marathon as well as completing the Boston marathon, had lots of laughs a few tears and came to the realisation that the little things that make me smile are very important and the little things that annoy or frustrate me are not important at all.  I have come to realise that family, friends and an awesome medical team can help you cope with just about anything.

So it has been a fast but short three years and I am happy to report I am feeling great physically and mentally, I am just about to head out for a run with my wife and spend the day surrounded by friends; Life is good  GREAT.

Thanks as always for reading and I will continue to do my best to communicate how we are doing!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Don! You two deserve all this happiness and good health for the kindness and love that you send out to others!
    xo

    ReplyDelete